Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's always something.

It's always something isn't it.  Supposed to have headed to Cape Charles last weekend with a few buddies, as mentioned before, however had an engine problem.  Before leaving dock, I started the engine like I normally do and noticed no water was coming out as it usually does (for the raw water cooling).  I figured maybe it would get better as we got going, as it did work the previous day.  As we left the channel, it did get a little better, and I was confident that it was indeed working.  However, right before raising it was time to raise the sails, the thermostat alarm went off, the engine was overheating.  At this point myself, and my crew for the weekend, decided it would be best to head back to the dock and see if we could troubleshoot the problem.

After anchoring a couple times waiting for the engine to cool down, we finally made it back to port.  A local diver was in the area and had a look underneath.  He did get some stuff out, but said that more water should be moving through and the little bit of stuff he knocked out should have been sucked up.  At that point, I decided to check the impeller, which was in decent shape.  Of course, I tore up the gasket when checking the impeller and now the new impeller is on order.  After I install the new propeller, it will be back to troubleshooting whether it's a clogged hose, heat exchanger or something else.  Disappointed I missed this trip, but there will be plenty more.

No comments:

Post a Comment